- Clonakilty town centre 1 mile
- Clonakilty Business Park 800 metres
- Clonakilty Enterprise Park 800 metres
- West Cork Technology Park 9 minutes’ drive
- Inchydoney Beach & Hotel 8 minutes’ drive
- Cork Airport & City 50 minutes’ drive
- Castlefreke Walks 9 minutes’ drive
- Galley Head Lighthouse 16 minutes’ drive
An Sruthán Beag
The site at Clogheen town land is bounded by a little stream to the west which gives our housing development its name; An Sruthán Beag. The site also contained a ‘fulacht fiadh’ which have been interpreted as cooking places and commonly dating to the Bronze Age.
The ‘fulacht fiadh’ were pits, filled with water to which hot stones were added in order to boil meat. Their usual locations were close to a water source and the availability of stones was essential. These stones were then heated on a fire and were added to the water which it heated in order to cook the meat.
This site contains all the evidence of this activity and the name of the town land, Clogheen’ or cloichín, meaning little stones, would have provided the essential elements required.
Our little stream or sruthán beag will be added to the town land name, to mark the historical importance of this site, and to form the address :
An Sruthán Beag,
Cloheen Homes Ltd
Martin Kelleher Property
Address: Faxbridge Roundabout, Clonakilty, Co. Cork
Telephone: 023 885 9111
PSR No, 1102